It’s now more than a year since Mt Pleasant man George Langley almost died.
The 45-year-old father-of-four was erecting speakers at the 2012 Cycling Australia Road National Championships near Mt Buninyong when the accident occurred on January 6.
The shock sent him into cardiac arrest and he was placed into an induced coma.
The grandfather-of-four woke with no memory of the incident four days later.
Yesterday, Mr Langley shook the hands of the paramedics who helped save his life.
“Without them I wouldn't be here, so I want to thank them very much,” he said.
“You just can’t thank them enough for what they’ve done.”
Mr Langley has received skin grafts for his electrical burns and his bones are still in the process of healing, but his memory is almost non-existent regarding the accident itself.
“The accident is something I will never remember.”
MICA paramedics Rod Irvine, Mark Brown and paramedic Bobbi-Lea Boucher embraced Mr Langley in an emotional reunionat the Humffray street ambulance branch.
Mr Irvine spoke for the trio and said it was great to meet their former patient and his family.
“I remember George was on the top of a vehicle, he had been electrocuted by a wire and thankfully there were some bystanders there doing CPR who were vital to George being here to this day,” he said.
“It’s so vital that people actually stop and render assistance.”
Mr Irvine said he was “just doing his job” and said it was just the third time he had met a patient after a call-out.
Mr Langley had already met Ballarat man Andreas Litras, who was first on the scene and administered CPR, but reunited yesterday to once again say thank you. Mr Litras denied he was a hero and said he had no idea if his efforts were helping Mr Langley.
“I saw a spark and a flash and a cry, then I saw him collapse,” he said.
“He was blue and cold and he looked terrible.”
Mr Litras said everyone should take the opportunity to learn CPR.