Angry outbursts are part of Alastair Clarkson's "make-up" and had tarnished the image of the Hawks coach and that of the club, according to Hawthorn chief executive Stuart Fox.
But the club board will not sanction Clarkson in the wake of a weekend blow-up in which he swore at a teenage junior football umpire at his son's under-nine match.
Clarkson is believed to have told the 19-year-old official to "f--- off" while acting as a runner for his son Matthew's Ormond Blue team during the South Metro Junior Football League's end-of-season lightning carnival on Sunday.
The incident took place a day after the notoriously short-tempered coach punched a hole in the wall of the coaches' box at the MCG on Saturday.
"It's part of his make-up. It's probably part of the coaching," Fox told radio station 3AW when questioned about Clarkson's anger.
"We're not condoning his behaviour and ... what he said to the official was unacceptable, however he's very remorseful and he has shown that. He has apologised and he knows he has stepped over the line. In fact he is quite embarrassed about the matter.
"It's not a great image for us. It's not a great image for him either and he knows that and his brand's been a little bit damaged again out of this."
Despite the apology, Clarkson could still be called to appear before the South Metro Junior Football League's tribunal on a misconduct charge. Clarkson said he would co-operate fully with an investigation by the league.
Fox said Clarkson was genuinely trying to help at the junior football match when both teams, Ormond Blue and Mount Waverley, began kicking the ball to the same end.
Fox said Clarkson "had mass confusion with his team so he's just trying to help out, and had an official who was also trying to do the right thing. So it was an unfortunate situation for Alastair on the back of an incident on Saturday in the coach's box".
He said the Hawthorn board met last night and had spoken to Clarkson, who would not be sanctioned for his actions.
"He put his hand up straight away, and what do you do with a guy that says 'Look, I have stuffed up and I'm apologetic'?," Fox said.
"He's 44 years old, he knows he's done the wrong thing and, as I said, he has said sorry and that will be the end of it for us."
The Hawks were also forced on to the back foot yesterday by two other, unrelated controversies.
The club announced Lance Franklin would undergo a driver education program and donate $1000 to a program or charity that advocates road safety after he was caught speeding last week.
And defender Jarrad Boumann injured his hand when he was involved in a scuffle outside a city nightclub early on Sunday morning.
Boumann left the club with a friend at 2.45am and was in search of a taxi when he was embroiled in a verbal exchange with a group of men. The Hawks said Boumann was repeatedly kicked by a number of people while he was on the ground, and injured his hand during the altercation. He will be required to give a statement to police.
"We've had a relatively very good run for two years, we haven't had an incident and all of a sudden over the last three or four days we've had to roll out a press statement about four different incidents," Fox said.
"It's unfortunate but that's what we're here to do and I've quickly got to direct our attention back onto a big game this Friday night, which is our core purpose."