BALLARAT’S iconic Royal South Street competitions have been officially launched for 2012, with the first events set to take place on Monday.
A special VIP party was held last night at Her Majesty’s Theatre to mark the launch, with City of Ballarat mayor Mark Harris officially opening the event for its 121st year.
Society president Brian McInnis said next week’s Debating Challenge Cup would be the first of many milestones for the year, with the closing spectacular to take place on October 28.
“Royal South Street is an institution and we are preparing for another excellent year building on our 120th anniversary last year,” he said.
“It remains Australia’s longest running eisteddfod competition and is known as one of Ballarat’s best events.”
With audiences of more than 30,000 people and 10,000 competitors, the competition contributes around $7.5 million to the Ballarat economy every year.
In 2012, special discipline ambassadors will be included in the event with big names including Anthony Callea, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa and Jonathon Welch sharing their memories of participating.
Find a daily program of events and more information at: