A FOUR-year-old boy told a relative “mummy won’t wake up to give me breakfast” just hours after his mother, Sharon Siermans, was brutally beaten to death in her Ballarat home earlier this year.
The man who pleaded guilty to the murder and attempted rape of the Ballarat mother was on parole when he committed the crimes.
In a cruel twist, the Adult Parole Board cancelled Jason John Dinsley’s parole on April 8, two days after he killed the 29-year-old.
Ms Siermans was bashed to death in her home on April 6, with her son also home in another room at the time.
Dinsley appeared by video link yesterday for the brief committal mention at the Ballarat Magistrates Court.
He did not speak other than to tell Magistrate Michelle Hodgson that he could see her and hear her clearly, then stated “guilty” when asked for his plea.
More than a dozen family and friends of Ms Siermans were in court for the brief hearing. They did not speak to media outside court.
In addition to murder and attempted rape, Dinsley also pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary.
A court sketch of Jason John Dinsley. PICTURE: EDWARD COLERIDGE
Court documents released to the media show Dinsley broke into Ms Siermans’ home in Doveton Street South, Ballarat, carrying a cricket bat, between 2am and 5am.
He was confronted by Ms Siermans and, after a short argument, Dinsley struck the young mother a number of times, causing her to fall to the ground.
Dinsley pushed Ms Siermans into a bedroom, continuing to strike her with the bat, before he tried to rape her.
The following morning, Ms Siermans’ son greeted a family member at the home’s back door with “mummy’s up here”, pointing to the master bedroom.
Noticing the blood, the family member asked the child where it came from, to which he replied “There was a big man come last night and he bashed mummy with a baseball bat ...
“Mummy won’t wake up to give me breakfast.”
When he bashed Ms Siermans to death, Dinsley was on parole after serving a prison sentence for a horrific rape and robbery
The documents state Dinsley was arrested on April 8 in Sebastopol.
When he bashed Ms Siermans to death, Dinsley was on parole after serving a prison sentence for a horrific rape and robbery.
In 2006, then 22-year-old Dinsley held a knife to a 52-year-old woman’s throat, handcuffed, gagged, and raped her twice, choked her and finally robbed her. The offence took place at St Kilda’s Gatwick Hotel.
After raping the woman, Dinsley forced her to give him her bank PIN. He then used it to withdraw $20 from her account and also bought some cigarettes.
The woman’s victim impact statement showed that she had suffered serious psychological consequences as a result of the offences.
On March 1, 2007, after Dinsley – who had 99 prior convictions – had been sentenced to a total effective sentence of nine years with a minimum of six, the Crown appealed the sentence, asking the Court of Appeal to find it was “manifestly inadequate”.
However, the court dismissed the appeal on the grounds that increasing Dinsley’s sentence would put him at risk of “exposure to a form of double jeopardy”.
In dismissing the Crown’s appeal, justice Marcia Neave nonetheless said:
“The offending in this case was very serious. Although the rapes may have been opportunistic rather than premeditated, the respondent’s attack on the victim was violent, humiliating and degrading.
“The victim was subjected to gratuitous acts of violence ... she was forced into her home at knifepoint, she was restrained by being placed in handcuffs which the respondent had brought with him, and her hands and feet were later tied up.
“She had a ball of paper placed in her mouth and the respondent later placed his hands around her throat.
“The attack was a cruel and relentless one which went on for some time and the victim is still suffering from its effects.”
Dinsley will re-appear for a directions hearing in the Supreme Court in Melbourne on August 30.