THE Victorian Adult Parole Board cancelled Jason Dinsley’s parole on April 8 this year because he was deemed an “unacceptable risk”.
That was before they knew he murdered Sharon Siermans two days earlier.
APB general manager David Provan said the board ordered Dinsley to appear on April 8 after receiving a report from Community Correctional Services on March 28.
Mr Provan said Dinsley failed to appear before the board on April 8, so his parole was cancelled in his absence “on the grounds he posed an unacceptable risk to the community and had breached conditions of his order”.
“When the board considered the matter on April 8, it had not been informed that he was under suspicion for alleged further offending,” Mr Provan said.
“Later the same day, the board was informed that Mr Dinsley had that day been arrested and charged for the murder of Sharon Siermans.”
Dinsley pleaded guilty yesterday to murdering Ms Siermans on April 6.
"The same day, the board was informed Mr Dinsley had been arrested and charged for the murder of Sharon Siermans"
Corrections Minister Edward O’Donohue admitted the system had failed.
“I extend my sympathies to the family of the victim in this appalling case,” he said.
“The government has acknowledged there have been failures in the system. We have already made changes to the parole system to tighten the regulations for parolees who re-offend while on parole and to make breaching parole an offence.”
The government is also considering a report on a top-level review into the operations of the Adult Parole Board, completed recently by retired High Court judge Ian Callinan.
The report is expected to be released shortly.