A BALLARAT man was jailed for eight years yesterday for offences against a young girl which a judge labelled abhorrent and heinous.
The 54-year-old had been found guilty by a jury on February 14 this year of nine charges, including incest and indecent acts with a child under 16.
The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was the step-father of the young victim.
Appearing via video-link in the County Court at Ballarat, Judge Frank Gucciardo detailed the offending, which took place for five years from when the girl was 10-years-old.
The court heard when the man’s de facto partner was at work, it was his duty to look after the girl.
On numerous occasions the man had sex with the young girl and forced her to perform other sexual acts.
The court heard the man was arrested and interviewed by police in February 2012, where he denied all allegations.
Judge Gucciardo said the man had never shown remorse, evident by the fact that he denied any wrongdoing.
“Incest is a particularly heinous offence ... in that it is a severe breach of trust,” the judge said.
“It is abhorrent because of this fundamental breach ... it is a vile violation of a young child.”
The man, who was placed on the sex offenders register for life, will be eligible for parole in six years.