NINETY people were evacuated from a VicRoads office on Learmonth Road and one patient was taken to hospital after a backup battery system in the server room malfunctioned, letting off a toxic-smelling odour yesterday.
Ambulance Victoria spokesperson John Mullen said initial reports stated up to 20 people were affected by symptoms including dizziness and numb limbs, after a strong burning odour was detected in the building.
Paramedics approached it as a full-scale incident when they received the call at 3pm, sending three units to the scene.
They treated seven people for headaches and nausea and transferred one patient to hospital in a non-serious condition.
Ballarat City Fire Brigade senior station officer Shane Phillips said four firefighters in breathing apparatuses used air sampling equipment to assess the risk.
Mr Phillips said there were no toxic gases detected.
“There was nothing adverse detected in the environment,” he said.