The City of Ballarat will not be impeded by the state government should it eventually go through with plans to demolish the Civic Hall.
There are no requirements for the council to approach the state government for approval to demolish the Civic Hall until it has a plan for development.
This is despite the state government owning the property, with a transfer of land only likely to be necessary when there are plans for what to do with the site.
The council will next week vote on a motion put forward by councillor Belinda Coates to rescind plans it approved last week to demolish Civic Hall.
City of Ballarat spokesperson Marcus Power said the Civic Hall remained a local government issue until the point that plans were released for the site.
He said the transfer of land by the state government was not required at this point.
Demolition is still likely to be challenged at Wednesday’s council meeting and at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
Western Victoria MP Simon Ramsay said the council had not yet approached the state government about its plans for the Civic Hall.
He said the current controversy around the Civic Hall issue would probably dissipate if people knew what was going on the site.
But he said there would always be some that want to retain the Civic Hall for “whatever reason”.
“The community have elected council to make decisions on their behalf and the community has ways and means to have their say,” Mr Ramsay said.
“They can use the VCAT system if they strongly object to a planning decision.”
In 2011, the last time the council tried to redevelop the Civic Hall site, the state government said it would not support the transfer of land unless it could prove the viability of its proposed project.