THREE people accused of killing an autistic Scarsdale teenager have been ordered to stand trial.
Joel Henderson, 40, Darren Wilson, 33, and Lisa Trezise, 29, all of Ballarat, yesterday pleaded not guilty to the murder in which Timothy O’Brien, 14, was allegedly bludgeoned to death with an axe.
Timothy was killed in the early hours of January 5 this year after going to the aid of his stepfather, Peter Williams, who had allegedly been lured to a Scarsdale farmhouse to be bashed.
A five-day committal hearing in Ballarat Magistrates Court heard from more than 15 witnesses, including three teenagers who saw most of the attack on Timothy and his stepfather.
The court heard the trio of accused killers and a teenage girl living at the farmhouse allegedly hatched a plan to lure Mr Williams to the address under the pretence there were prowlers.
Witnesses told the committal hearing that upon arriving at the property, Mr Williams was allegedly jumped by Wilson, who was wearing a Betty Boop pillowcase over his head, and bashed.
One witness said he saw Timothy hit Wilson with a baseball bat before seeing Henderson grab Timothy around the neck while the teenager tried to flee to his stepfather’s car.
Reliving the terrifying moment he saw Timothy bludgeoned to death, the witness said Henderson allegedly screamed for Timothy to die while he repeatedly struck him with the blade.
The witness said Timothy’s screams stopped after the first blow from the axe.
Another witness said she also saw Wilson allegedly punching Timothy while he was on the ground.
Trezise allegedly played a part in Timothy’s death by driving two teenage girls to Mr William’s house and helping lure him to the farmhouse.
It was also alleged Trezise had driven Wilson and Henderson home after the attack before attempting to destroy evidence by washing Henderson and her blood soaked clothes.
Charged with murder only last week, Trezise yesterday broke down in tears and shook uncontrollably as she entered her not guilty plea.
A short time later, Trezise’s legal counsel started a bail application which is expected to be finished next Tuesday.
The three will face a directions hearing in the Supreme Court on November 13.