'Operation Tradie' a success, police say

FRIDAY night’s Operation Tradie has been declared a success by Ballarat police.

No incidents were reported across Ballarat during the one-night blitz on anti-social and drunken behaviour during the traditional trades people Christmas break-up.

Acting Sergeant Dave Strachan said it was like a normal Friday night.

“It was a very quiet night with no incidents reported,” Acting Sergeant Strachan said.

However, some people have expressed concern at the operation’s title.

On The Courier’s Facebook page, Dave Kiely wrote: “Coz tradies are hardcore criminals right?”

Merinda Sandwith said: “Is this a joke? What about teachers and office workers, retail people. Can’t believe what I’m reading”.

Tee-totalling tradie said: “Very disappointed that this operation is called Tradie. 

“Why has the hard-working tradesman of this town been tarred with the same brush as drug-affected drunks?”

However, two years ago, several Ballarat tradies told The Courier they were concerned their annual Christmas break-up had been hijacked by a minority of violent drunks.

Local carpenter Richard McNiece said at the time: “It’s a shame. Ninety per cent are fine, but it’s that 10 per cent that ruin it for everybody.

“That 10 per cent is what is giving that night the reputation of fight night.”

Overall, Ballarat police reported a very quiet weekend in the lead-up to Christmas, with no incidents recorded on Saturday night.

fiona.henderson@fairfaxmedia.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop