Maryborough man in custody after body found in flooded Avoca mine

A MAN charged with the murder of Ricky Lee Ganly appeared in court yesterday, but police believe a second man involved in the death is still on the run.

Jesse Willis, 28, of Maryborough, showed no emotion in Ballarat Magistrates Court as he was remanded to re-appear on June 5 for a committal mention hearing.  

A police remand summary seen by The Courier alleges Willis made admissions to killing Ganly while being interviewed in Ballarat this week.

Willis was arrested in Maryborough by Homicide Squad Missing Person Unit detectives about 4pm on Sunday, less than two hours after police hauled Mr Ganly’s Magna sedan and a body from the bottom of a flooded Avoca mine.

Mr Ganly, 48, was last seen by his girlfriend at his Doherty Street home in Deer Park about 12pm on Sunday, April 28, last year.

Phone records showed his last movements were in Avoca during April 28-29.

The remand summary says a post mortem carried out on the body, believed to be Ganly’s, reveals he died from a single gunshot to the back of the head. 

The police documents also reveal that a co-accused, Stuart Hutchinson, remains at large over his alleged involvement Ganly’s death. 

“It will be alleged that he assisted Willis dispose of the vehicle and Ganly at the dredge site,” the remand summary says. 

Members of Ganly’s family sat in court while Willis, dressed in a black T-shirt and with short black hair and stubble, said nothing as magistrate Cynthia Toose addressed him. 

A lawyer for Willis said it was her client’s first time in custody and that he was withdrawing from oxycontin, morphine and methylamphetamine. 

Willis will re-appear on June 5 for a committal mention hearing.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop