BALLARAT Red Devils are “quietly confident” they will secure a spot in the inaugural National Premier Leagues season.
Head coach-player James Robinson told The Courier yesterday the club was gearing up for the NPL ahead of Football Federation Victoria’s announcement of 28 selected teams for the two-tier competition tomorrow.
Robinson said the team had come together and areas that needed focus had been identified since training began three weeks ago.
“Our plans are all based around being in the NPL and training has been geared around Friday’s decision,” Robinson said.
“We are quietly confident that everything is over the line but you never know until the decision is made.
“The team is shaping up very well, obviously we are jumping up a level, but the foundations are there. The boys attitude and application have been first rate.”
Red Devils chairman Duncan Smith said the club had worked to bring local players back home from metro and interstate teams.
“We have signed all the Ballarat players that we wanted to and there are boys that have come back from Melbourne and Queensland,” Smith said.
“We are the biggest underdogs in the league and the odds are stacked against us because we are a regional team.
“It’s a step-up in class but we are pleased with how the team looks.”
Ballarat has been part of the turbulent NPL establishment where an injunction was imposed, forcing clubs, FFV and FFA to reach an agreement on the criteria of the competition.
The season is expected to start late March, early April.
Meanwhile, works on the Ballarat Regional Soccer Facility continue to progress.