Still no amended plans for Miners Rest saleyards site

THERE is still silence about plans for the proposed new Ballarat saleyards at Miners Rest.

Ballarat saleyards operator CVLX is yet to release amended plans for the new saleyards since presenting plans to the saleyards advisory committee in mid-December last year. 

The saleyards advisory committee rejected the original plans due to a the lack of capacity and a lack of loading ramps.

As of the most recent Ballarat City Council meeting on Wednesday night a planning application for the new saleyards had not been received.

Councillor John Phillips said he had not received an update since the December meeting and was disappointed with a lack of evident progress.

“We’ve been waiting. We selected Regional Infrastructure (which manages CVLX) as our preferred tender in October 2008 to operate the current saleyards and to provide us with a planning application for new saleyards,” Cr Phillips said.

“Since that time we’ve got to the point in December 2012 when they nominated their preferred site near Miners Rest. We are still waiting for a planning application for approval or otherwise.

“I can still remember five years ago when we selected them for the tender, they thanked us and said they should be back in six months with a planning application.

“Livestock is still being sold at the current saleyards and there is nothing wrong with that usually, but with the existing outdoor pens, on days that are either very hot or very wet the stock aren’t necessarily presented in the best possible condition so it could be having an impact on prices.”

The Courier was unable to contact CVLX yesterday. 

Ballarat Stock and Station Agents Association president Gerry White said agents were frustrated with the lack of progress but would not accept plans that did not meet agents’ and vendors’ requirements.

“In our opinion the process has gone on way to long. It is five years and nothing has progressed,” Mr White said.

“The council appears to be giving CVLX more extensions and we are still no better off in terms of knowing what is going on. “I’ve stated before that the agents as a body are not accepting the plans put forward (in December). I am adamant we’re not accepting them until the agents’ views on the plans are recognised, including the capacity, and the number of ramps.”

gavin.mcgrath@fairfaxmedia.com.au

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop