WORKS on the Armstrong Street North revamp have been delayed even further with construction now not expected to start until April 7.
Traders were originally told the works would begin this week, however City of Ballarat executive of major project delivery and communications Jeff Pulford yesterday revealed this would not be the case.
“Due to Telstra contractors being held up at another project site and to prevent unnecessary delays for traders, these works will now begin in the week commencing April 7,” Mr Pulford said.
The revamp was originally scheduled to start in February and will include removing the parking spaces in the centre of the street and replacing them with trees.
It comes as the council revealed a key component of the original CBD strategy adopted by the City of Ballarat in 2010 had been cut from the final project.
The plan to remove above-ground power lines in the city was one of the key actions mentioned in the strategy, specifically stating the council should “continue the undergrounding of power lines particularly along Sturt, Lydiard and Armstrong streets.”
However, Mr Pulford yesterday told The Courier plans to remove the power lines had been abandoned.
“Power lines will not be removed as part of the Armstrong Street project, as council’s judgment was that the removal of lines at an estimated additional cost of in excess of $900,000 could not be justified,” he said.
This would have almost doubled the cost of the $1 million project.
The strategy is considered a long-term plan to guide growth and change in the Central Business District over the next 20 to 25 years and makes clear that placing power lines underground “should be encouraged”.
“Once power lines are no longer visible, the appearance of the streetscapes will be enhanced due to the reduced clutter,” the strategy states.
“This will also focus attention on the heritage buildings and provide more space for tree growth.”
Seventeen car parks will be lost in the construction.