GRACE McAuliffe is today a picture of one-year-old health.
But only four weeks ago, the toddler received deep burns when she placed both hands on the door of a still warm wood fire.
Her mum Elly said they had been visiting family members in Lal Lal on February 28 when the accident happened.
"It had been a warm day, but a cold night, and they had had the fire going the night before," Ms McAuliffe explained.
"But it was five o'clock the next day and we just didn't expect it to still be warm.
"She put one hand on the glass and burnt it and then lost her balance and put her other hand out."
Grace was rushed to Ballarat Base Hospital's emergency department where her hands were bandaged up, before being referred on to the Royal Children's Hospital burns clinic.
"They were a bit pink for a while but they left the dressings on them and they're fine now."
Grace also saw a hand therapist who put a splint on her left hand to make sure it didn't contract as it healed.
"They were fantastic. We are so lucky to have such a great facility just down the road.
"You might be beating yourself up but they pass no judgements at all. They are just very professional.
"Our nurse had a lot of experience too. She was great and Jack (Grace's three-year-old brother) loved the Clown Doctors."
Ms McAuliffe also urged people to donate to the upcoming Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday Appeal on April 18.
"They don't cut corners. A nurse told us they use a spray that loosens adhesive that's quite expensive but they still use it because the manager understands how traumatic it can be.
"They (the RCH) need all the help they can get."