HEPBURN and Beaufort have both been sanctioned for bringing the Central Highlands Football League into disrepute.
The Burras and the Crows have been slapped with immediate and suspended fines by the league for their involvement in a melee which forced the senior clash to be abandoned by umpires in the final quarter last Saturday.
CHFL administrator Diane Ryan said board members met on Wednesday night to view video footage and discuss facts of the incident before coming to a decision on penalties.
She said the board wished not to disclose the dollar figure of the fines, but was glad the matter had been resolved.
“It was disappointing and I think the events that unfolded, in some ways, were due to a matter of circumstances. We are just glad a resolution has been reached and we can move on,” Ryan said.
Ryan added that no individuals had been sanctioned by the league.
Beaufort president Michael O’Connor said the club was happy the whole incident had now come to an end.
“Obviously we accept the sanctions imposed by the league and we look forward to moving on and concentrating on what it’s all about, which is mainly playing football and presenting ourselves as a well-rounded, community-based club,” O’Connor said.
Hepburn president Jason Dooley was unable to be contacted yesterday, but former president Jason Olver expressed a similar view to O’Connor.
“We are glad it has finally come to an end and both clubs can move on,” he said.
“There’s no ill-feeling between either party and there hasn’t been all week. We look forward to round three against Gordon.”
The Central Highlands breaks over Easter, with round three to get under way with two Anzac Day games on Friday, April 25.