Man pleads guilty to assault after victim punched, left unconscious on ground

A MAN was left unconscious on the ground at a Ballarat pub for more than three minutes after two other men viciously assaulted him, a court has heard.

FILE IMAGE

FILE IMAGE

The victim had been arguing with another man in the outside smokers’ section of the Red Lion Hotel on February 15 this year when he was felled by the initial punch from Luke Keen. 

In Ballarat Magistrates Court on Monday, Keen pleaded guilty to the attack, while a co-accused, who allegedly continued to punch the victim, chose to contest the charges.

Police prosecutor Senior Constable Clint Prebble said the victim had been talking to another man when Keen and his co-accused walked out and began assaulting the victim. 

Senior Constable Prebble said Keen punched the victim in the face, while the co-accused allegedly began punching the victim too. 

The court heard the victim fell to the ground as a result of the first punch, and the co-accused allegedly continued to assault the man. 

The victim remained unconscious on the ground for more than three minutes.  

Senior Constable Prebble said the victim attended hospital the next day after waking in “a lot of pain”.

The victim’s injuries included a sprained ankle, a small bone chip, a fractured finger and swelling to the face. 

Brett Bryant, for Keen, said his client was remorseful for the offending, highlighting Keen’s admissions to police and early plea.  “As soon as he was detected, his hands went up,” Mr Bryant said. 

Magistrate Cynthia Toose ordered Keen be assessed for a community corrections order, adding the offending was very serious. 

“I’m just really concerned by the constant levels of violence which comes before this court,” Ms Toose said.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop