Siermans family want to sue state over daughter's murder

John and Denise Siermans, parents of murdered woman Sharon Siermans. PICTURE: JEREMY BANNISTER

John and Denise Siermans, parents of murdered woman Sharon Siermans. PICTURE: JEREMY BANNISTER

THE family of murdered Ballarat woman Sharon Siermans want to be part of a claim to sue the state of Victoria for its negligence in handling parolee killers.

Shine Lawyers are currently representing 10 families, including relatives of Bacchus Marsh woman Sarah Cafferkey, who was murdered by Steven James Hunter in November, 2012, just days after his parole ended.

It is expected a claim will be filed within weeks and could include the Siermans family. 

Speaking of his daughter's murder at the hands of parolee Jason John Dinsley, John Siermans said the family "absolutely" wanted to be involved in a claim.

"Because I tell you what, we'd sue the government for everything we can when it's over these parolee killers," he said on Friday.

Sharon Siermans. PICTURE: SUPPLIED

Sharon Siermans. PICTURE: SUPPLIED

Shine Lawyers senior solicitor Paula Shelton, who is preparing the claim, confirmed she had been contacted by the Siermans family late on Friday.

"They're all individual circumstances and it's not the sort of matter that's suitable for a class action," Ms Shelton said of the separate murder cases.

"But it's something which I will certainly explore with the Siermans family."

The claim relates to families of victims killed by men who were on parole or had recently finished parole.

In a cruel twist for the heartbroken Siermans family, the Adult Parole Board cancelled Dinsley's parole on April 8, two days after he killed the 29-year-old mother of one.

Dinsley bashed Ms Siermans to death in front of her four-year-old son after breaking into her Doveton Street home in the early hours of April 6, 2013.

He also tried to rape her.

The Courier revealed Dinsley's sordid past in August last year, including the sickening 2006 rape of a woman in Melbourne, for which he was on parole for when he killed Ms Siermans.

In the 2006 attack he held a knife to a 52-year-old woman's throat, handcuffed, gagged, and raped her twice before choking her and finally robbing her.

Dinsley was jailed for life in December last year, with a minimum of 32 years.

Ms Shelton said the claim, if successful, could see victims' relatives receive compensation from the government.

She said lawyers would consider many issues surrounding parole, including the decision to grant parole and parole conditions once released.

"One of the things is that these parolees have often breached parole on a number of occasions... but nothing has been done," Ms Shelton said.

A spokesman for corrections minister Edward O'Donohue said the government could not comment on matters which are to come before the court. 

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop