A VICTORIA Police blitz on driving over the Queen’s Birthday long weekend resulted in 169 drivers nabbed for traffic offences in the Ballarat district.
Ballarat Highway Patrol Sergeant Ross Humphrey said the figure from the Operation Regal blitz included 130 speeders, about six exceeding the blood alcohol limit or refusing a breath test and another for distraction offences.
He said there were 2600 breath tests conducted in the district over the long weekend.
Sergeant Humphrey said the operation targeted speed, fatigue, alcohol and distraction to ensure safety on the roads.
“We were lucky there were no fatalities or serious injuries in our region, so we’re happy with the way most of the general public behaved.”
He said distractions included people using their phones while driving, which he added was a serious offence that affected the safety of all drivers of all abilities.
He said people needed to take care on the roads at all times of the year.
“We are out there, and if people are going to offend, they will get caught.”
The statewide blitz began on Friday and ended Monday.
Only hours into the blitz on Friday, a P-plater at Mt Waverley was found allegedly speeding while under the influence of drugs and without a licence.
A 19-year-old man died in a Warragul crash on Saturday after losing control and striking a power pole.
The blitz is in line with the “Road to Zero – it starts with you” campaign, launched to encourage the community to take ownership of road trauma.
Throughout April, May and June police will saturate the state with a number of large-scale operations.
The Victorian road toll stands at 111, eight higher than this time last year.