A principal has supported a call to reduce the speed limit in front of a Delacombe primary school after a second car crash in two months.
On Tuesday, Lumen Christi principal Murray McDonald voiced concerns, adding that anything that made a safer environment for pupils was supported. The area out the front of the Whitelaw Avenue school is a 60km/h zone, however a service lane has a 40km/h speed limit.
"Given that it's a very busy thoroughfare at peak hour and also at dismissal time, if it made things safer I would support it," Mr McDonald said.
VicRoads western region director Ewen Nevett said in a statement the current limit was "appropriate".
The call for a speed reduction comes after three people were hospitalised on Tuesday morning after a two-vehicle collision at the front of the school just after 8.30am.
A woman in her 20s was treated for a back injury, a female in her 30s was treated for a neck injury and a teenage girl was treated with a minor head injury.
The woman in her 20s was in a stable condition at Ballarat Base Hospital on Tuesday night and the other two had been discharged.
Police blocked traffic in both directions for more than 30 minutes as the scene was cleared.
In the previous incident, a 10-year-old boy was left with pelvic and leg injuries after being hit in Whitelaw Avenue.
The City of Ballarat has twice asked VicRoads to reduce the speed limit of Whitelaw Avenue to 40km/h during school times.
However, VicRoads said at the time they would only consider an application to reduce the speed limit to 50km/h.
Whitelaw Avenue is split into two sections, with a service road closer to the school having a 40km/h zone.
However, parents say that due to a lack of parking in the area they sometimes need to park on the main road.