ROLAND Marlborough’s dogs were his life.
So when they were poisoned and left to die, it understandably left him devastated.
Mr Marlborough was working in Melbourne on Tuesday when he received a phone call about 9am from a vet telling him his two beloved dogs had been poisoned.
One had been found unconscious in the gutter out the front of his Cobden Street house, while the other was lying on the footpath a few doors down from his place.
The front gate had been left open.
Minnie the Staffordshire terrier cross died later that night at the veterinary clinic, while four-year-old purebred Staffordshire terrier Otis was in a critical condition.
It is believed a chicken carcass had been thrown over the fence, poisoned with the deadly 1080 fox bait.
For Mr Marlborough, the deliberate act has left him wondering why anybody would want to commit such a crime.
His next door neighbour owns a dog and another Staffordshire Terrier also lives four houses down, although they were not harmed.
“I’ve never done anything to warrant any sort of attack like this, and neither have the dogs,” he said.
“I don’t have any kids so I treat the dogs like my kids. They sleep inside, they love humans. I don’t know why anybody would do it.
“I found a bit of the chicken left around the yard, which makes me think the dogs knew something was wrong – they never leave any food.”
The pair of dogs were able to access both the front and backyards of the house and Mr Marlborough said they sometimes barked at people walking past.
However he said they would never have hurt anybody in their life.
Now he says he cannot imagine buying any other dogs and will most likely sell his home and move elsewhere.
“It has put me off too much, I don’t think I could go through it again,” he said.
Anybody with information is asked to contact Ballarat police on 5336 6000.