House fire after clothes left unattended by a heater

HOUSE FIRE: The Ballarat City Fire Brigade have attended a house fire after clothes were left unattended by a heater. Picture: ‎Daryl J Sobey‎.

HOUSE FIRE: The Ballarat City Fire Brigade have attended a house fire after clothes were left unattended by a heater. Picture: ‎Daryl J Sobey‎.

The Ballarat City Fire Brigade attended a house fire on the corner of Sebastopol and Lyons Streets in Ballarat Central after clothes were left unattended by a heater.  

The brigade was notified of the fire at around 1.50pm on Tuesday with three of its units attending the scene.

Senior station officer Shane Phillips said only part of the building was affected, with the rear of the house including the kitchen and lounge extensively damaged. 

He said the fire was an accident and had resulted from clothes being left to dry by the heater.

HOUSE FIRE: The Ballarat City Fire Brigade have attended a house fire after clothes were left unattended by a heater. Picture: ‎Daryl J Sobey‎.

HOUSE FIRE: The Ballarat City Fire Brigade have attended a house fire after clothes were left unattended by a heater. Picture: ‎Daryl J Sobey‎.

While the cooler weather continued, Mr Phillips urged the public to be wary of placing clothes close to the heater and if doing so, to always keep an eye on them. 

“We don’t recommend leaving heaters on when the house is unattended… and we urge (the public) to check that they have working smoke alarms,” Mr Phillips said. 

He said no one was home at the time of the fire but the occupants had been notified.

The scene has since been declared safe.