Melbourne-Cup winning jockey Michelle Payne has created more racing history after becoming the first Victorian to win a race as trainer and jockey after Duke Of Nottingham won a maiden plate at Swan Hill on Sunday.
In 2015, Payne became the first female jockey to win a Melbourne Cup and now the first to achieve a first place with a dual training and riding licence.
But only in Victoria. Racing officials in Queensland and NSW refuse to allow the talented jockey permission to ride in those states.
Victorian chief steward Terry Bailey says he can't see why Paine is unable to ride in upcoming races in the northern states.
Payne will know later this week if she's permitted to ride her brother Patrick's horse, Husson Eagle, in the Starlight Stakes next Saturday in Sydney. Husson Eagle is also being prepared for back-to-back Magic Millions successes after the sprinter powered away from his rivals on the Gold Coast last year.
"It's not a matter that it's Michelle Payne or anyone else, I can't see where the integrity risk is of Michelle Payne riding at the Magic Millions meeting," Bailey said.
Payne found Duke Of Nottingham for just $10,000 as an unraced four-year-old at a mixed sale earlier this year.
The horse is raced by some of Payne's former school friends, and is the second horse that Payne has trained and ridden after Kiwi galloper Queen Of Zealand.
Another dual-licence holder Jade Derose was victorious recently at Ballarat when she trained her first winner Pawan Prince to victory. The horse was ridden in this race by young apprentice Kassie Furness.
The Payne family have been a feature of racing over the past three decades in Australia. Melbourne-Cup winning jockeys Brett Prebble and Kerrin McEvoy are married to Payne girls Marie and Cathy, who were also jockeys before retiring.
Racing Queensland chief steward Allan Reardon confirmed on Saturday that Payne had made an application to ride to his office last week, but no decision had been made.
"She said she would put in an application on Monday and we will consider it," he said.
"At this stage, I can't say one way or another if she'll be allowed to ride. But we should be able to make a decision some time next week."