A last minute invite-only consultation session for Lydiard Street residents has failed to provide any clarity around the impact the temporary bus interchange will have on the surrounding area, residents say.
Furious Lydiard Street residents say they have been told to forward any concerns they have over Public Transport Victoria’s decision to install seven additional bus stops along the street to Public Transport Minister Jacinta Allan.
Resident Glen Honeyman called the last-minute announcement “completely inappropriate” and said a public consultation session provided no clarity.
Mr Honeyman labelled the decision inappropriate, irresponsible, reckless, ill-considered and thoughtless.
Ballarat Mayor Samantha McIntosh confirmed she had been contacted by a number of Lydiard Street residents who were concerned about the impact the decision to turn Lydiard Street into a “temporary bus interchange” would have on the city’s heritage.
“Heritage is very important to me and for Ballarat and it needs to be absolutely considered in all areas of work we partake in,” Cr McIntosh said.
She said the exact plan for the temporary interchange had not been detailed yet, but confirmed council had insisted that all residents were consulted with before the project started.
A state government spokesman refused to answer The Courier questions surrounding the timeline ofr the project or its impact on residents. A number of residents have told The Courier they were not informed of the project until this week, a claim the government denies.
“The proposal to install more bus bays on Lydiard Street will allow us to run more services, more often, to get people in Ballarat home sooner,” a government spokesman said.
“PTV met with Lydiard Street residents (on Thursday) to discuss the project and listen to their concerns, in addition to extensive consultation carried out mid-year which informed locals that bus services would operate via Lydiard Street North.”