THERE has been feedback from within the Ballarat District Bowls Division about starting the bowls season in November to avoid wet weather.
The division has reviewed washouts over the past seven seasons and came to an interesting conclusion.
The division found that only two weekend rounds were cancelled in rounds on to four in those seven seasons. In a nutshell, over seven Octobers there have been only two rounds cancelled due to weather.
By comparison, there were four rounds cancelled during November, specifically rounds five and eight of the season. Five rounds were cancelled in rounds nine to 12 over those seven seasons, five cancelled after new year, of which two were for extreme heat.
Season 2011-2012 accounted for six of the 16 cancellations, being rounds three, five, seven, nine, 13 and 16, all for wet weather. Therefore it may be of limited benefit to begin the season later than its current October start.
• The Ballarat Gold Diggers side for the Grigsbey Pethard Shield will be selected following the squad’s official practice at Webbcona Bowls Club next Sunday.
Team shirts will be presented to the players who represent the division against Bendigo, at Kangaroo Flat on Sunday, November 18.
• The Region final of the over 60s singles will be held at the Victoria Bowling Club tomorrow. John Glenton and Rhonda Armstrong will be representing the BDBD against Goldfields and Central Highlands bowlers.
• Bowlers in teams who score an “eight” in pennant competition, are eligible to purchase and wear an “8 badge” for the season. Club secretaries may order them through Bowls Victoria.
• The close games on Saturday were won by Ballarat East division four and Midlands Golf division eight by five shots, Learmonth division nine by 4.75 shots, Learmonth division one and Central Wendouree division four by three, and Mt. Xavier division one by two shots. The big winners were Avenue and Smeaton in division five by 65, City Oval division five by 66, Victoria division four by 73, and the top dogs, Ballan division seven by 114 shots.
• Hopefully on Saturday we will play in the sun. With five wins and three losses I’m after the bookies this week.
• Beaufort to defeat visiting Creswick in division two.
• Victoria on its grass to defeat Linton in division three.
• Sebastopol at home to defeat Central Wendouree in division four
• Smeaton at home to defeat top side city City Oval in division five.
• Second side Invermay to toppled top side Victoria at Swinglers Road in division six.
• Waubra at home to gain a ladder level on Ballarat East in division seven.
• Top side Midlands Golf visiting second side Clunes will take the points.
• Beaufort at Home to catch up on Central Wendouree in division nine.
* Rod Lindsay is the BDBD secretary