Sebastopol Vikings are getting set for a potentially fiery return encounter against Newmarket Phoenix this Saturday.
The round four clash between the Vikings and the Phoenix was abandoned when the visitors failed to return to the pitch for the second half at St Georges Reserve.
Sebastopol was leading 5-0 when the game finished and was able to keep the result following a Football Federation Victoria hearing into the fixture.
FFV declared Phoenix had to have a number of their senior matches video recorded, including the return fixture against Sebastopol Vikings this weekend.
Following the round four clash, Vikings coach Corey Smith labelled the Phoenix side’s actions “the most disgusting, unprofessional, unethical and disrespectful” thing he has witnessed during his time in the game.
Smith told The Courier on Friday that a member from FFV was set to be present at the game this weekend and each club had been asked to provide four ground marshalls for the fixture at Newmarket Reserve.
“It’s not the ideal scenario, but at the same time after the last (game) I think we have a duty to go down there and keep our pride and come out firstly with three points,” Smith said.
“But also show that we are a class act, that we are top of the league for a reason and that our club is professional.
“Where we play the game is not really relevant. I think what is relevant is that we play in a safe environment, which FFV have provided.”
After a break last weekend, Sebastopol takes on the Phoenix two points clear at the top of the men’s state league four west table with eight games remaining in the season.
Smith said Vikings captain Marcus Lynch will return to the team this Saturday after missing the most recent win over Golden Plains because of a thigh injury, but centre back Joris Kerstens will miss the game due to other commitments.