A seven-month-old baby believed to have drowned in a bath has sparked a police investigation.
Detectives were called to a Launceston home last week after reports a child had died.
They have since sought information from Child Safety Services, which confirmed they had been notified about the baby on September 7 and again on September 12.
A child health nurse also visited the home on September 11, eight days before the baby’s death.
Launceston CIB Detective Inspector Phillipa Burk said the matter remained under investigation, but no charges had been laid.
“All evidence is still being gathered,” she said.
Human Services Minister Jacquie Petrusma said as the death was under police investigation, she could not comment on the matter at this time.
“My heart goes to all those affected by this terrible event,” she said.
Greens leader Cassy O’Connor said she believed the baby was referred to Child Protection Services due to substance abuse in the home.
“The information I have is that there was a concern raised with Child Safety Services about the well-being of a seven month old child and that those notifications were not followed through adequately,” she said.
“It raises the question about child safety services’ resourcing, and the prioritisation of at risk children and investigations.”
There have been 68 notifications to Child Protection Services that have been elevated to an investigation level as of March this year.