How does Gwynne Dyer come to the conclusion that the Socialist M. Francois Hollande is certain to win the run-off vote for the French Presidency (The Courier, April 25)?
Hollande lead the initial vote among 10 candidates with about 28 per cent.
The incumbent centre Sarkozy gained about 26 while the National Front Marine Le Pen with staunch conservative views about 20 per cent.
That makes 74 per cent of the vote with the other 26 per cent divided variously among seven candidates.
Hollande would need almost all of those votes to get over the line. Can you imagine any of Le Pen's voters drifting so far to the left?
My interest in M. Hollande, however is raised in your columnist's opening paragraph when the erstwhile president-elect is quoted in referring to his chief adversary, "He never puts forth his candidacy, but nevertheless he governs. My true adversary is the world of finance."
This is a point I have endeavoured to make in numerous letters throughout the decades.
Elections are futile while it is the fact that politicians are mere vassals of the money power.