FIREFIGHTERS say a blaze inside a Delacombe home yesterday was "really starting to cook" just as fire crews arrived.
The fire took hold in a bedroom of the Leawarra Crescent home just before 5pm yesterday.
Police believe candles are likely the source of the blaze, following a similar incident in Mount Pleasant on Sunday.
The fire is not being treated as suspicious.
Ballarat City Fire Brigade Senior Station Officer Shane Phillips said crews arrived to a confronting scene.
"By the time we arrived the fire had breached the front window, so it was self ventilating and really starting to cook," he said.
"When the fire started, the occupants of the home closed the door and contained it to one room — that probably saved the rest of the house."
Mr Phillips said a woman and three young children made it safely from the home and called triple zero.
"They did exactly what we'd like people to do in that situation," he said.
"It only took as a few minutes to knock the main fire down, then the BA (breathing apparatus) guys went in to make sure no-one else was in there before we extinguished the rest of the fire."
Damage to the home is estimated at between $30,000 and $50,000 dollars.
The fire comes after Sunday's blaze which destroyed a bedroom of a Mount Pleasant home.
The CFA issued a safety warning following that fire, urging parents to keep an eye on their children and around candles and open flames.