MISSING Linton teenager Donny Govan stopped a car last Thursday and asked the driver for money, according to a Lake Boga man.
The unconfirmed sighting is the strongest clue Donny’s family has had in weeks, following his disappearance from an Echuca campsite on September 1.
Now more than two months since the 16-year-old ran off into the darkness, the Lake Boga sighting may hold new hope for a family torn apart by their missing son and brother.
Yesterday, the Lake Boga man, who asked to be known only as Brad, told The Courier he was backing his car out of his driveway when he encountered the boy he believed to be Donny.
Brad said the boy was hanging around his street and approached his vehicle about 9.30am on Thursday.
“He stuck his head in my window and asked for $5,” he said.
“Usually I would have just said no, but he looked too young to be out walking the streets, so I gave him $20.”
Brad said he asked the boy whether he wanted a ride anywhere, but received only a mumble in reply.
“I didn’t think too much of it, but when I got home I saw the photos of Donny and I knew I had spoken to the same kid.
“I’m 99 per cent sure it was him.”
Brad said he had searched the area and found an old World War II bunker which had signs that somebody had been sleeping inside.
“The local paper had just done a story on him and I found a ripped-out page with his story on it down there,” he said.
“It could be just a coincidence, but who knows.”
Brad said he spoke to another boy, someone he presumed was homeless or had run away, who told him on Monday night that he’d seen someone matching Donny’s description.
“I gave him an old phone and asked him to ring me if he sees him again,” he said.
Donny’s sister Jacinta Jackson said his family was hopeful the latest sightings were confirmed to be Donny.
“It definitely gives us hope,” she said.
“We’re in contact with a few people up there and it sounds like the whole town is looking for Donny.”
Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Donny Govan can call triple zero immediately.