Drugs the reason for crime spree of Wendouree man: court

A MAN who broke into a Wendouree church and helped take $10,000 worth of musical equipment will be sentenced today.

David Boyd, 21, appeared in Ballarat Magistrates Court yesterday over his three month crime spree, which was committed between July and September this year.

After the prosecution summary was read to the court, magistrate Kay Robertson showed her disbelief at Boyd’s actions, saying “what’s different this time?”

“Has anyone got any other ideas as a way of dealing with Mr Boyd (other than jail)?” she said.

The court heard Boyd carried out a series of burglaries and thefts to support his drug habit, which, according to his defence, has included ice, ecstasy, cannabis and “a little dabble with heroin”.

Police prosecutor Senior Constable Clint Prebble said that on the night of September 25, Boyd went with two others to a church in Wendouree where they used bolt cutters to break in. 

The trio stole an electric guitar and other musical equipment valued at $10,000.

The court heard the offenders returned less than four hours later, this time breaking into a shop in the other half of the church building.

There they stole two laptops worth $4000 and had loaded two trolleys of alcohol ready to take when police arrived, catching them red-handed.

Senior Constable Prebble said Boyd had also been involved in burglaries at a Wendouree property and Bunnings Warehouse on Creswick Road, as well as committing several driving offences.

Defence lawyer Mike Wardell acknowledged jail was the only option for his client, who has an IQ of 62, is autistic and has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

“This is a really troubling matter, your honour,” Mr Wardell said. “Sadly drugs have been the driving force behind the offending.”

Ms Robertson adjourned sentencing to today, but indicated she would likely imprison Boyd for up to three months combined with a community corrections order.

Boyd pleaded guilty to 20 charges including burglary and theft.