Invermay fire started by mower explosion

A RIDE-ON mower exploded and sparked a grass and scrub fire at Invermay yesterday, in a busy weekend for firefighters.

Despite cooler weather conditions, fire crews were called to a private property at Swinglers Road about 3pm after the lawn mower fire ignited in dry grass and made a run towards a house.

Ballarat City senior station officer Neville Collins said fencing and some land were damaged by the blaze, which came within 30 metres of a home and affected two properties.

Twenty firefighters in five tankers and two slip-on vehicles were able to bring the blaze under control in 10 minutes.

“The landowner was there with his hose trying to extinguish the blaze,” Mr Collins said.

“We were able to round the fire up.”

A number of other smaller blazes kept Ballarat crews busy at the weekend despite temperatures that dipped into single figures.

Mr Collins said people should to be mindful Ballarat’s fire danger was still in force, with dry conditions continuing to affect the district.

“People are still unable to have burn-offs unless they have a permit,” Mr Collins said.


Discuss "Invermay fire started by mower explosion"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.