BFL: Bacchus marches on

East Point's Hayden Walters fends off a tackle from Sunbury's Josh Burgess.
East Point's Hayden Walters fends off a tackle from Sunbury's Josh Burgess.

BACCHUS Marsh held off a tenacious Lake Wendouree outfit to notch up its second win of the Ballarat Football League season at Maddingley Park on Saturday.

In a scrappy match played at the highest intensity, it was the Cobras that got the jump on the previously undefeated visitors to jump out to a 20-point lead at the quarter time.

In a match that was hard on the eye but entertaining due to the ferocity shown by both sides, a genuine arm wrestle ensued for the remainder of the match.

Although the Lakers dominated possession and had more than double the inside 50 entries in the second half, they were unable to convert on the scoreboard and, in reality, never looked like catching the young Cobras.

And when the heavens opened at three-quarter time and heavy rain teamed down, it virtually ruled a line through any hopes of a Lake Wendouree comeback.

Two goals to Andrew Pitson and Andrew Casey (the first consecutive majors for Lake Wendouree for the day) saw the margin cut to 14 points at the 18-minute mark, but the visitors were never able to get any closer.

Speaking after the match, Bacchus Marsh coach Cam Richardson praised his defenders for holding off the Lakers' attacks, admitting his side needed to work on its fitness.

Captain Tyson Shea and Alec Del Papa were honourable in the shared shut-down roles on Steve Clifton, who played a solid game without being dominant.

Ben Peters also drew praise from his coach, as did the young Logan Blundell.

"The backline was a query against North City and they responded well today," Richardson said.

"We've got the win but we've got to get better and better, we've got to get fitter.

"It's hard being a player coach on the field, its so much harder than being a player, it's a lot more nerve-racking." 

For Lake Wendouree, coach Gavin Webb was left to rue the opening quarter in which his side got "jumped" and was unable to adjust to the Cobras game plan.

Ruckman Matthew Tuminello was again dominant, with Angus Kirby and Scott Carey also in solid form.

"It's hard playing catch-up like that, they were just smart than us in the first quarter and a bit," Webb said.

"They just jumped us. It's bitterly disappointing, we probably dominated the last quarter but the conditions made it hard. You just can't afford to let teams jump you."

MEANWHILE, East Point has pulled off a shock upset against Sunbury at Eastern Oval, registering their first win of the year.

Despite conceding a string of goals to appear in trouble early, the Roos were simply unstoppable after the 10-minute mark of the opening term to run out 17.9 (111) to 8.12 (60) winners.

The result was the Eastern Lions first loss of the year.

In the third game for the day, Redan held off Melton South by just four points in an ugly game, dictated by atrocious conditions at City Oval.

Grant Bell kicked three of the Lions' five goals, while Daniel Vasjuta snagged two majors for the Panthers.

Melton South remains winless after three rounds, while Redan has won two of its first three games for the year.

North Ballarat City will host Ballarat at Eureka Stadium under lights on Saturday night, while Darley will travel to Sebastopol in a Sunday fixture.


Discuss "BFL: Bacchus marches on"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.