Delacombe man denied bail over neighbourhood assault

Trevor Scott, 20, had a "hostile" relationship with his neighbours, a court has heard.
Trevor Scott, 20, had a "hostile" relationship with his neighbours, a court has heard.

A DELACOMBE man accused of leaving his neighbour in intensive care after punching him in their street less than a day after being released on bail for other offences, has been refused bail.

Outlining the alleged offending in Ballarat Magistrates Court on Tuesday, Detective Senior Constable Tony Euverard said Trevor Scott, 20, had a "hostile" relationship with his neighbours, many of whom "live in fear" of the Scott family.

Opposing bail, the detective said Scott had been granted bail over separate charges on September 21 last year.

Less than 24 hours later, Scott allegedly punched his 47-year-old neighbour in Leawarra Crescent, Delacombe.

The court heard Scott had allegedly been driving dangerously along Leawarra Crescent shortly before the incident, with the victim and others telling him to slow down due to children playing in the area.

Detective Senior Constable Euverard said Scott side-swiped a parked car after being told to slow down before throwing a steel tyre lever at the group of people.

Scott and his brother were then seen walking towards the group, yelling abuse and "goading" them, the court heard.

Scott is alleged to have then punched the victim in the head, knocking him to the ground, where he remained unconscious.

The victim was later air- lifted to a Melbourne hospital where he required "hourly monitoring" for severe head injuries.

The court heard the victim has not been able to work since the incident, which left him with a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain.

Scott is charged with recklessly causing serious injury, affray, assault in company and driving offences.

A barrister for Scott said her client had changed during his time in custody and wanted to seek treatment for anger and drug and alcohol abuse.

Scott's mother and a family friend gave evidence that they would alert police if Scott breached bail conditions, adding he had a stable residence at the family friend's.

But magistrate Barry Schultz said the Crown case was too strong and that Scott had not shown cause as to why he should be bailed.

"Within two days of being granted bail this horrible offending occurs," Mr Schultz said.

"The offending was particularly violent ... the (victim's) injuries were horrific."

Adding there was not enough evidence before the court about Scott's drug use, Mr Schultz questioned whether it was "a drug-fuelled incident or a thug-fuelled incident".

Scott was remanded to reappear on July 16 for a committal hearing.