Ballarat police officer stabbed in the face

The scene where a police officer was stabbed on Thursday night. PICTURE: ALEX HAMER
The scene where a police officer was stabbed on Thursday night. PICTURE: ALEX HAMER

A 20-year-old man has been remanded in custody over an incident in which a police officer was stabbed in Wendouree last night. 

Samuel Hayward appeared in the Ballarat Magistrates Court in a blue jumpsuit before magistrate Michelle Hodgson.

Giving evidence, Detective Senior Constable Troy Wickham said Hayward was approached by two police officers about 9.30pm outside the Hungry Jacks restaurant on the corner of Howitt  and Gillies streets over nine outstanding warrants. 

Senior Constable Wickham said Hayward was sitting in the front seat of a car and was asked to step out by police.

Hayward resisted police and was subdued with capsicum spray.

A 17-year-old female - who cannot be named for legal reasons - then assaulted a police member before running off. 

Senior Constable Wickham said another police officer came to the aid of the first member and was then stabbed in the leg and cut in the face by the 17-year-old female. 

Both were then arrested and taken to Ballarat Police Station. 

Senior Constable Wickham said Hayward had previously been charged with three counts of theft from a motor vehicle, including a credit card, and one charge of burglary. 

He said Hayward had been identified nine times on CCTV footage using the credit card to buy groceries and cigarettes in the Melton and Sunshine areas. 

Hayward was on bail for these offences and had meant to be living with his father at Elmhurst but had previously left the premises twice without his father's knowledge to catch up with friends in Ballarat. 

Senior Constable Wickham said he then failed to appear on bail on May 8 and his whereabouts were unknown until this week. 

Hayward was remanded in custody for further mention on August 7.

Defence counsel Mike Wardell said the custody issues included his age, appearance and the fact he could be withdrawing from a drug of dependence. 

The 17-year-old female was also remanded in custody to appear in a Children's Court on July 21.

More Ballarat news: