BFL: Marc Greig escapes sanction after MRP review

Marc Greig
Marc Greig

NORTH Ballarat City veteran Marc Greig has escaped sanction following an incident which left Redan gun Ryan Waight with a suspected broken nose.

Greig is free to play in Saturday's second semi final after a Ballarat Football League match review panel could not determine whether he breached AFL Victoria Country rules.

The five-member panel all viewed footage of the incident independently and arrived at a majority decision that Greig had no case to answer.

Umpires paid a 50m penalty to Waight during the first-quarter marking contest, which left him clutching his face before being ordered off the field under the blood rule.

It is the second time this season that Greig has been looked at by the match review panel.

He was also found to have no case to answer following a complaint from Darley in round six.

Greig is now preparing for North City's clash with Ballarat this weekend, where the winner will progress through to the grand final.

Redan football manager Damian Linton said the club approached the league about reviewing the footage as a result of Waight's injuries.

"I'm happy it has gone through due process at this stage and been dealt with according to how it can be dealt with," Linton said.

"(I'm just) disappointed that a player has been injured and unsure whether he is going to be able to play this week. Obviously there's been high contact and we just can't see it (on the vision), that's all."

Redan coach Eammon Gill told The Courier Waight was expected to take the field in his side's do-or-die semi final with Darley on Sunday.

"At this stage we are planning on him to play," Gill said.

The news is not so good for Lions key defender Pat Britt, who Gill said was highly doubtful to recover from an arm injury sustained in the loss to City at the weekend.


Discuss "BFL: MRP clears Marc Greig to play in semi-final "

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.