A 22-year-old student who was hit in the head with a shovel last month was the victim of a random attack, a court has heard.
Police alleged a 25-year-old man and a 16-year-old co-accused attacked the victim who was out walking on Humffray Street on the evening of September 6, the Ballarat Magistrates Court heard on Friday.
Left dazed and bleeding, the victim was taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital with a broken nose, multiple fractures, a black eye and large gash.
He was released four days later but still requires surgery on his eye.
Ricky Micallef, 25, who faces several charges including armed robbery and assault police, appeared in court via videolink as part of a bail application.
The court heard Micallef was sitting on the front step of his Humffray Street address when he invited the victim, who was walking past at the time, in for a beer.
It is alleged the 16-year-old co-accused came from the house and asked the victim to hand over his money, but when the victim refused and moved away the two men allegedly hit him approximately 10 times to the face and head.
The victim then swung a chair at the men before the co-accused allegedly armed himself with a shovel and and hit the young man in the head twice.
It is also alleged one of the accused stole $20 from the victim’s wallet.
The two accused were found by police hiding behind a garden shed and charged at police who attempted to arrest them.
Police alleged Micallef, who is on a community corrections order, then punched an officer.
During an interview with police Micallef denied being involved in the assault, and said he was was intoxicated and did not know what had taken place.
Micallef’s lawyer said his client was found to be suitable for the credit bail program to deal with any alcohol issues, and combined with strict bail conditions would reduce any risk to the community.
He added Micallef was a primary carer for his ill mother.
Micallef was granted bail with strict conditions, including a curfew, reporting to police and exclusion from licensed venues.
He will reappear in court on December 1 for a committal mention.
A 16-year-old was granted bail in a children’s court and will reappear in a court next month.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.