'Family man' and father of four dies after pub brawl in Eildon

A tight-knit Victorian family isin mourning after a father of four was killed following a brawl outside a pub in Eildon, about 140 kilometres north-east of Melbourne.

Three men were arrested on Saturday after the fight on Friday night in whichFrankston fencer Greg Mitchem died.

His youngest son, Harley, said his family was in shock and "can't believe it's real".

"Words can't describe what kind of man he was," Harley said.

The 18-year-old said he would treasure photos, memories and the belongings of a Dad with whom he did everything together.

"Jet skiing, motorbike riding ... everything," he said.

Harley said his Dad loved building and riding his motorbike.

His niece, Danielle Marie, said her family had been rocked by Mr Mitchem's sudden death.

"He was a great uncle, dad, brother, family man and friend," she said.

"He is part of a very large, tight-knit family and we would like to ask for some privacy while we grieve the loss of our family member."

Mr Mitchem and his wife were holidaying in Eildon with two friends who live at a caravan park in the central highlands lake town.

But Harley said his parents were alone at the Eildon Holiday Resort on Friday night.

Country rock band Ruckus were playing at the pub that also operates as a motel on the Goulburn Valley Highway, which was running courtesy buses home for patrons.

Harley said his Dad intervened when a group refused to leave the venue.

"The kids were asked to leave the pub and they refused so my Dad tried to get them out, then they pushed my Mum and Dad down the stairs," he said.

"Then my dad got up, then they hit him."

Police believe Mr Mitchem died when he fell and hit his head on the ground.

Tammy Scanlan told 7 News her brother Timothy Fielden and two sons were the three men arrested.

Ms Scanlan said it was her brother who knocked Mr Mitchem to the ground - but claimed he did so in self-defence.

"He [Mr Mitchem] hit him and he sliced his neck and my brother just kind of went like that and this guy just fell and he hit his head," she said.

Ms Scanlan said Mr Mitchem started the fight when he twice punched her son, Zachary Pedlar, knocking him out. She said her family tried to help the victim after he struck his head.

"It was horrible, it was horrible and I feel sorry for the family, I really do, it's heartbreaking," Ms Scanlan said.

A police spokeswoman said on Saturday that the three men arrested were yet to face charges.

Police are talking to a number of witnesses to find out the exact circumstances surrounding the man's death.

The three men in custody are assisting police with their enquiries.

In 2013 the Eildon Resort - and operators Stuart Jeffrey Longhurst and Medina Longhurst - were barred from serving alcohol following an order from the Supreme Court.

Publican Stuart Longhurst declined to comment about the events of Friday night citing the ongoing police investigation.

When asked about his liquor licence and pub standards he passed the phone to his barrister who threatened legal action.


Anyone with information or who may have witnessed the incident is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

This story 'Family man' and father of four dies after pub brawl in Eildon first appeared on The Age.