Killer driver was responsible for crash that killed girlfriend: jury

A Ballarat jury has found a 35-year-old man guilty of culpable driving which caused the death of his teenage girlfriend, Bianca Thompson, in Scarsdale last year.

Anthony Dixon was driving a Ford Telstar on January 6 when he collided head-on with another vehicle at the Old Glenelg and Glenelg highway intersection.

Bianca Thompson.

Bianca Thompson.

Ms Thompson, 17, died as a result of the crash.

A jury of four men and eight women found Dixon guilty of culpable driving causing death on Thursday after about five hours of deliberations.

He was found not guilty of one count of dangerous/negligent driving while being pursued by police and one count of reckless conduct endangering persons.

Dixon had pleaded not guilty to the three charges, but admitted an alternative charge of dangerous driving causing death.

During the eight day trial at the County Court in Ballarat Dixon quietly sat focused in the dock, while witnesses, the prosecution and his barrister revisited the tragic day in January.

At the start of the trial Dixon took his own notes while towards the end, he appeared emotional and in pain as he held his right shoulder. 

Witness Jacob Tabone had told the jury he became suspicious about Dixon’s car being in the Scarsadale area and he informed a Smythesdale police officer.

The police officer then tried to stop Dixon driving a number of times while he travelled around Scarsdale’s streets before the fatal collision at 5pm.

Leading Senior Constable Anne Bone told the court she saw a female with dark hair sitting in the passenger seat with her feet resting on the dashboard.

Dixon was accused of failing to give way at the the Old Glenelg Highway and Pittfield-Scarsdale Road intersection, almost colliding with another car carrying two occupants.

Police alleged he was not speeding until this intersection, and at one time, he looked like he was going to pull over.

It was estimated Dixon was travelling at 50 to 55km/h at the time his car hit the Toyota Hilux.

Dixon was remanded in custody until a plea hearing in Melbourne on April 5.