Do you remember Loreto’s Commercial College or kindergartens? | Photos

LORETO College is searching for students from commercial college and kindergarten children for two special reunions in October.

The highly-regarded Loreto Commercial College in Dawson Street opened in 1962 with evening classes in the library. Classes moved to the top floor of the new building in June 1963. Commercial College moved to the St Joseph’s Parish School building in 1984 and closed in 1996.

Women who attended the College learnt a variety of administration skills and business etiquette. Graduates of the College were highly sought after and many found employment across the region before or on completion.

Loreto Kindergarten operated on the existing Sturt Street Campus from 1941 to 1978 where as many as 584 boys and girls attended over the 37 years.

The kindergarten closed in 1978 with the phasing out of the junior school and amalgamation of Mary’s Mount and Dawson Street as Loreto College Ballarat in 1978.

Loreto co-educational Kindergartens operated in the Ballarat region at both Dawson St and Sturt Street and many “old boys” have previously returned to the College to share memories.

Reunions will both be held at Loreto College, 1600 Sturt Street, on Saturday, October 20.

Former kindergarteners from both campuses will meet for morning tea and champage from 10am.

The Commercial College Reunion will be held at 3pm with afternoon tea and champagne.

Loreto College’s marketing and development office is calling for people to update their details, and to let others know about the reunions.

Send any photos through to development@loreto.vic.edu.au.

Book tickets via the Loreto College website www.loreto.vic.edu.au/events by October 5.