Footballer pleads guilty

Fromer Bacchus Marsh footballer Jarrah Maksymow has pleaded guilty to affray.
Fromer Bacchus Marsh footballer Jarrah Maksymow has pleaded guilty to affray.

A former Bacchus Marsh footballing star Jarrah Maksymow faces a possible jail sentence over a central Albury fight just 12 hours after his debut in another country league.

But Maksymow is likely to avoid full-time custody and instead serve any time by way of an intensive corrections order.

Maksymow was a member of the Bacchus Marsh side for two seasons and featured the Cobras’ 2016 premiership win over Sunbury.

The 26-year-old fronted Albury Local Court on Tuesdayon a single charge of affray.

He pleaded guilty to the incident that happened outside Sweethearts pizza restaurant on April 15 about 3.45am.

Maksymow tried to punch one man and punched to the ground another in the brawl, the catalyst for which was a chance meeting between him and two mates and two other men in Dean Street.

His lawyer had asked that Maksymow undergo a pre-sentence report.

But magistrate Rodney Brender treated the violence and the accused’s criminal history far more seriously.

“He’s got a pretty appalling record, including a number of ones where he has completed custody for affray,” Mr Brender said.

“I think it’s going to be an ICO assessment.”

Police told the court that Maksymow had a “lengthy criminal record”.

This latest incident took place after Maksymow and two other unknown men left the Beer Deluxe bar in Albury before heading east along Dean Street.

Along the way they stopped to talk with two other men.

“The conversation takes place in close contact and it appears that there is some pushing and shoving,” police said.

It was outside Sweethearts, which Maksymow briefly entered, that the brawl unfolded.

“Without any warning the accused throws a left punch, which completely misses and knocks the hat off the head of a bystander.

“The accused immediately throws a right-handed punch that strikes another male to the head and from the impact this male falls on the ground.”

Police said the brawl had to be broken-up by passersby.

Maksymow walked away, then returned and threw more punches at another man before he was restrained.

Maksymow will be sentenced on June 28.

A previous version of this story said Maksymow played in Bacchus Marsh’s 2017 grand final loss to Darley.  This was incorrect.