Miners Rest residents will have the chance to have their say on the expansion of their primary chool as the state government prepares to deliver a $4.5 million upgrade to the facility.
Treasurer Tim Pallas announced the cash injection for the rapidly growing school in the 2018/19 state budget, which will allow for expansion.
Community consultation sessions will be held at the school between 2.30-4.00pm and 5.30-7.00pm on Tuesday 12 June, giving residents a chance to identify what they think is important in the school’s new design.
Residents will also be able to share their ideas online until June 20, with the information to be used to help architects shape a master plan.
In a statement Education Minister James Merlino said “the expansion will give more families access to a great local school with first-rate facilities, meaning their kids can get the education they need to thrive”.
“Schools are more than just buildings − they are at the heart of their neighbourhoods and the new Miners Rest Primary will be an opportunity to shape and enhance the local community,” the statement read.
The school is currently servicing more than 300 pupils and is relying on 13 portables on top of its six permanent buildings.
The Victorian Opposition has also pledged to build a new primary school in Miners Rest ahead of the November election.
The entire rebuild, which would allow the school to cater for more than 400 pupils, would cost more than $15 million.
Speaking to The Courier earlier this year, school council spokesman Alyson McPhan said a bigger school had long been on the agenda.
“We have constantly seen our play space being diminished and our learning spaces being compromised.”