Anti-station group vow to continue fight development up to election

A community group opposed to the state government’s transformation of the Ballarat Station Precinct has vowed to continue the fight all the way up to November’s election, despite works continuing at the site.

John Barnes (back) with fellow Save Our Station members at the Ballarat Station Precinct.

John Barnes (back) with fellow Save Our Station members at the Ballarat Station Precinct.

Earlier this week Public Transport Minister Jacinta Allan released the final plans for the new $5 million bus interchange. 

Works at the 12-bay terminal are due to get underway in September, subject to planning and heritage approvals. 

Save Our Station secretary John Barnes said while the group did not want to see the entirety of the precinct plan torn up, he hoped to see the goods shed remain in public hands and the Quest apartments shifted offsite. 

A public meeting will be held by the group at the Provincial Hotel at 11am on Saturday. 

“We’ll take this right up to the election and try and hurt the government as much as we can over the issue,” Mr Barnes said. 

“We’re going to continue to put pressure on the government and all parties running in the election to take position and to pledge they will renegotiate (developer) Pellicano.” 

Works have already begun on construction of a 405-space multi-storey car park near Nolan Street, which is expected to be completed by November.