A man was giving his former partner some “time out” when he drove her to Sebastopol McDonald’s in an unregistered car while he was unlicensed.
The Ballarat Magistrates Court was told on Thursday Rodney Hodge was stopped by police on July 9 at 8.40am in the McDonald’s car park.
Police checks showed his vehicle’s registration had expired and his licence had been cancelled and he was disqualified from driving for four years in December 2017 for refusing a drug test after an accident.
Hodge, who represented himself in court, said he drove his partner to McDonald’s to give her some time out.
“Things were getting a bit hostile at home,” Hodge said.
He said he had sold his car and now rode his bike.
Magistrate Alan Spillane told Hodge if the driving while disqualified offence had occurred 12 years ago, Hodge would have been sentenced to jail.
Hodge was convicted and fined $400, with $124.30 statutory costs, and disqualified from driving for two years.
He pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified and driving an unregistered vehicle.
Ballarat East home invasion accused to front committal hearing
Two woman charged over an aggravated home invasion in Ballarat East, where the owner was stabbed and had her arm broken, will face a committal hearing in June.
Nikkita Thomas, 26, and Teagan Broadway-Marks, 23, were charged over the September 23 incident.
Police allege the pair and an unknown male attended the Rogers Court house at 5.10am to collect Thomas’ dog and her belongings.
An altercation allegedly occurred where the victim was struck with an axe in her back a number of times before she was hit with a hammer, causing a broken arm.
Thomas and Broadway-Marks, who are both in custody, will appear at the Ballarat Magistrates Court for a committal hearing on June 12.
Thomas will appear via video link because she is expected to give birth before the hearing.
During the hearing a magistrate will decide if there is enough evidence from the prosecution for the case to go to trial in the County Court.