A Ballarat man has been found guilty of raping his girlfriend, twice on the one night, almost seven years ago.
An 11-person jury returned a verdict on Wednesday afternoon in the County Court at Ballarat, about two hours after they started deliberating.
They found the man, who is aged in his late 20s, guilty of two counts of rape relating to an incident in Delacombe some time between November 1 and December 31, 2012.
The jury had been told the complainant told the accused, aged in his late 20s, she could not have sex with him because of an infection.
Police allege she pushed the man away but he persisted and sexually penetrated her orally.
Later the same night, the complainant went to bed and woke up with the man sexually penetrating her.
Throughout the five-day trial, the man - who The Courier cannot identify - denied raping the woman.
“There was no non-consensual sex in any stage of their relationship,” defence barrister John Lavery said.
In giving evidence on Tuesday, the man said the complainant had previously asked him to penetrate her while she was asleep because it was one of her fantasies, but he never carried out the act.
Crown prosecutor Bill Stougiannos had told the jury sex could not be a free agreement if a person was unconscious or asleep.
Judge Frank Gucciardo told the jury during his legal direction on Wednesday morning it was for them to decide if the complainant was truthful and accurate in her evidence.
She gave evidence in a close court on Thursday.
The man, who pleaded not guilty to two counts of rape, was remanded in custody until a plea hearing in Melbourne on April 1.
Have you signed up to The Courier's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.