Australian Border Force officials have admitted their processes "broke down" and accepted some responsibility for the detention of refugee footballer Hakeem al-Araibi.
The 25-year-old languished for months in a Thai prison because an ABF officer neglected to inform other Australian authorities that Mr al-Araibi was under protection.
ABF boss Michael Outram said his officer should have emailed the Australian Federal Police and Department of Home Affairs.
This would have prevented Thailand being alerted to an Interpol red notice issued against him.
"It is clear that human error occurred within the ABF process," Mr Outram told a Senate estimates hearing in Canberra on Monday night.
However, he declined to offer Mr al-Araibi an apology.
"I apologise for the error that occurred with the ABF but I can't say - and nor can I accept - that error necessarily led to his detention in Thailand."
The AFP has also identified a "gap" in its handling of the case, but apportioned most of the blame to Home Affairs.
Mr al-Araibi, a permanent resident of Australia, was arrested in Bangkok in November.
Bahrain had earlier requested a red notice against Mr al-Araibi over disputed allegations he vandalised a police station.
The AFP - which hosts an Interpol office and has staff seconded there - flagged the notice with border authorities.
However, the federal police and Interpol were unaware Mr al-Araibi was under Australia's protection.
"Neither the AFP nor the Australian Interpol NCB can access this information; we rely on notifications from the Home Affairs department," AFP commissioner Andrew Colvin told the committee.
"The Home Affairs department provided Mr al-Araibi's visa status to the AFP on the 28th of November, the day after his detention in Thailand."
Interpol would not have issued the red notice if they knew about Mr al-Araibi's refugee status.
"It was issued in good faith by Interpol; they were not aware at the time of issuing it that he was subject to a protection visa," Mr Colvin said.
The AFP then referred his visa status to Interpol's legal affairs department, and Mr al-Araibi's red notice was rescinded on December 1.
The 25-year-old returned to Australia last week after spending more than two months behind bars, following a decision by Thai authorities not to pursue extradition proceedings against him.
He returned to Melbourne on February 12.
There is no legal obligation for Home Affairs to notify federal police about somebody's refugee status.
On November 28, the day after Mr al-Araibi was arrested in Thailand, an AFP officer emailed Home Affairs about his case.
Bahrain had also raised allegations with Interpol that the 25-year-old departed Australia on a suspected fake travel document.
An AFP employee raised this matter with Home Affairs.
Home Affairs advised the AFP officer that Mr al-Araibi was travelling on a valid document, and also held a protection visa.
This was the first time the AFP learned of his visa status.
However, the response from Home Affairs was not read.
The AFP employee had gone home and did not return to work until after Home Affairs provided separate advice about Mr al-Araibi's protection visa.
The AFP insists this "gap" had no impact on Mr al-Araibi's detention, as it occurred the day after his arrest.
Australian Associated Press