A 16-year-old girl charged after a taxi driver was allegedly attacked at Lucas earlier this week has been refused bail.
The teenager cried from the dock of a Children's Court on Thursday when a magistrate told her she was too much of a risk to the community if she was bailed.
A police informant said the teenager had been bailed just days before her latest alleged offending on Wednesday.
He said on March 12, the teenager and two other youths asked a taxi driver to take them from Ballarat's Eastwood Street to Lucas Safeway supermarket.
The informant said the group pre-paid the driver $20 but before reaching the destination, they asked to be dropped off.
He told the court the accused took the $20 and broke free from the taxi driver's grip.
The taxi driver located the group around the corner and confronted them but he was allegedly punched and kicked to the ground.
Police arrested the group of youths 200 metres from the incident. The police informant said the accused was remanded to appear at a Children's Court on March 15.
But he said on Wednesday police saw her driving a Holden Astra that was allegedly stolen from an elderly woman at Lake Gardens between Monday and Tuesday.
The teenager's lawyer told the court his client should be bailed because she was a child, she had stable accommodation and was extremely vulnerable in custody.
In refusing bail, the magistrate said the community did not need to tolerate the teen's escalating crime wave. She was remanded in custody until April 1.
Have you signed up to The Courier's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.