POLICE will be watching for complacent drivers during the next few days in what is one of the most notorious weekends on our roads.
With a road toll 65 per cent up on the same time last year, police have launched Operation Regal which will focus on impaired driving, increased traffic on rural roads and towing of trailers and caravans.
The operation is combined across the state with police focusing on traffic corridors that link metropolitan areas to popular holiday destinations including the high country, Grampians and lakes regions.
Road Policing Command Assistant Commissioner Stephen Leane said if the community continues to believe it will not happen to them, the number of lives lost on the road will continue to skyrocket.
"Every day police continue to attend crash scenes where people have consciously chosen to speed, not wear their seatbelt or drive under the influence of drugs and alcohol," Assistant Commissioner Leane said.
"If you choose to drive this way and something tragic happens, you are ultimately choosing to put your family and friends through an unimaginable amount of pain.
"Police are doing everything we can to curve bad driver behaviour. But without the support and a change in the way people choose to drive we will continue to see carnage on our roads."
Police, Ambulance Victoria, the CFA, MFB and the SES have partnered together to highlight the importance of slowing down to 40km when passing an emergency service vehicle.
"Slowing down to 40km is a small inconvenience, but if the community can do this one thing it will keep our people safe," he said.
Operation Regal will run for four days until 11.59pm on Monday June 10.
Have you signed up to The Courier's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.