A man accused of making a gun allegedly used in an armed robbery will face court again in November.
Stuart Grano, of Black Hill, was charged with manufacturing a firearm.
He appeared at the Ballarat Magistrates' Court for a special mention on Tuesday, to decide whether the case will be uplifted to the County Court.
The informant, Detective Senior Constable John Coleman from the Armed Crimes Squad, alleged 11 firearms, all homemade, were located between late 2017 and May 2018.
A search warrant was executed on properties in June 2018, and investigators found items which are suspected to have been used to manufacture "at least some" of the firearms.
"A ballistics expert believes blocks, barrels, and frames, potentially were used," he said from the witness stand.
"We believe one of the firearms matches one used in an armed robbery."
The alleged robbery itself was in April 2018, and the firearm used matches a description of another firearm found in the raid, which was then examined by an expert.
Detective Coleman said there may be other firearms or parts that have not been seized yet.
On cross-examination, Grano's defence lawyer asked if any whole firearms were found in the raid.
Detective Coleman replied only parts were found, "no fully complete firearms, but some .22 ammunition that would fit".
He said the case was not "too complex" to be dealt with in the Magistrates' Court, instead of the County Court.
Magistrate Ross Betts said there had been a previous sentence indication of two years imprisonment.
"Five years is the maximum I can impose if he's found guilty - I would have thought that would have been ample," he said.
The case will return in November for a one-day hearing.
Mr Betts warned Grano's defence lawyer her client was facing "very serious charges".
Have you signed up to The Courier's variety of news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.