THE death of a construction worker in a wall collapse at a Mount Pleasant property is the latest in a long line of shocking incidents that have shocked and devastated a suburban street.
A 56-year-old man was killed when a wall collapsed at a Department of Health and Human Services owned property he was working to demolish around 9am on Wednesday morning.
The man, one of two people working at the site at the time, is understood to have been buried under about one metre of bricks.
Frantic attempts to revive the man, once he was freed from the rubble, were unsuccessful.
A neighbour who asked not to be identified told The Courier that it was yet another tragedy to hit the community, which has seen more than its fair share in recent times.
"We want out of here, we don't want to be here anymore," he told The Courier.
"It was a pretty decent area a while ago, a good spot for families. It's probably only the last five years or so it's gone downhill."
Two fencers who were supposed to also be working at the house said they were in shock to hear of the news.
Steve Slater and Tim Wilson said the road was blocked off by emergency services when they arrived to work.
"That could've been us down there this morning and it could be one of us not going home to see their family tonight," Mr Wilson said.
"People shouldn't have to go to work and die."
Mr Slater described the incident as a "shocking" situation.
"It's not good, it's just not right," he said.
The WorkSafe authority said it was investigating.
"A 56-year-old man has died after a brick wall collapsed on him at a residential building site at Ballarat this morning," it said.
"It is believed the Mount Pleasant site was undergoing demolition works when the incident occurred before 9am."
The fatality brings the number of workplace deaths this year to 17, which is one more than at the same time last year.
The property and one adjacent are owned by the Department of Health and Human Services. The department declined to comment.
The death comes 18 months after two workers were killed in Delacombe.
Those deaths have prompted the State Government to draft a series of new laws regarding workplace deaths.
The legislation is expected to be debated in state parliament before the end of the year.
Ballarat Trades Hall issued a statement after attending the site.
"Another worker has died today. Another worker who will not be coming home to family and friends. Another family has been left devastated. Another group of hard-working emergency service workers, police and WorkSafe officers have images and trauma that they would rather do without.
"Another senseless and completely avoidable incident has claimed yet another life. Industrial Manslaughter Legislation cannot come soon enough."
Police said they will prepare a brief for the coroner.
Have you signed up to The Courier's daily newsletter and breaking news emails? You can register below and make sure you are up to date with everything that's happening in Ballarat.